Japanese Culture Day
@ Life Science CentreBook Now
26 November 2016
Included in Science Centre admission
Presented by the Japan Foundation and TFF (Tuning for the Future), Life is hosting a special day where you can explore Japanese culture. Try speaking the language, have a go at Japanese magic tricks or make a moss ball planter.
What you can enjoy:
- 11.00am – Play and Toy Talk – Hisakazu Hirabayashi, game analyst will explain the characteristics of Japanese toys and games including card games, ‘Role Play Games’ (RPG) and even the famous Pokémon.
- 11.30am – Let’s play Hanafuda (Japanese Playing Cards) with Nobuaki Takerube – playing cards were first introduced to Japan by the Portuguese almost 500 years ago. Since then, Japanese playing cards have been in a state of constant evolution and designers continue to innovate in a number of ways. In this workshop, participants can learn how to play Hanafuda, a Japanese traditional card game that has clear ties with contemporary card games such as Pokémon.
- 11.30am – 1.30pm – Moss balls – make a living planter the traditional Japanese way. Places are very limited and offered on a first come, first served basis.
- 12.00 noon – 3.30pm – Japanese Language Taster – drop in and try your hand at learning some basic Japanese and see if you have an aptitude for the language.
- 1.30pm – 2.30pm – Tezuma Traditional Magic Show and Workshop – watch a performance by Taiju Fujiyama, a master of Japanese magic, then take part in a workshop where you can learn how to do some of the tricks yourself.
Life Science Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
whatsonnortheast.com23:21, 02 JulRT @scienceatlife: Try making your own water vortex in a bottle. You will need a 2L bottle, scissors, Blu-tack and water!
Try and see what…
whatsonnortheast.com23:20, 02 JulRT @HeadofSteamMus: Here’s another of our natural world activities for Children’s Art Week. We’ve found lots of pine cones on our walks and…
Unable to display Facebook posts.
Please refer to our Error Message Reference.